Social Icons

Bond Secret File #16 - Licence To Kill


Introduction: 5/10
Like the film itself the introduction is quite bland, it attempts to imitate previous intros by engaging Bond in some outlandish stunt that leads to the capture of the film's main villain, Sanchez. The whole incorporation of Felix in the beginning and using him as the driving factor of the film I found rather lame. No real bond has ever been shown between Bond and Felix in the past and this makes it appear as if they have been best friends. Frankly a plot based on a very small character who changes actors in every film is somewhat of a low point in the franchise if you ask me.


Title Song: 5/10
The theme song for Licence To Kill has a slight Bond flair to it but is overpowered by the fact that the song belongs on a soft rock station where they play love songs, not the title theme of a Bond film. Once again an example of how this film makes no attempt to try and grab you. If anything the song only adds to the mono-tome of the film and lures you to sleep. Title song is performed by Gladys Knight.


Oh. I need, I need, I've got to hold on to your love.

Hey baby, thought you were the one who tried to run away. Oh, baby, wasn't I the one who made you want to stay? Please don't bet that you'll ever escape me. Once I get my sights on you.

I got a licence to kill (to kill). And you know I'm going straight for your heart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) Anyone who tries to tear us apart. (Got a licence to kill) Licence to kill.

Hey baby, think you need a friend to stand up by your side? Yes you do (your side). Oh baby, now you can depend on me to make things right (things right) Please don't bet that you'll ever escape me Once I get my sights on you.

I got a licence to kill (to kill). And you know I'm going straight for your heart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) Anyone who tries to tear us apart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) And you know I'm going straight for your heart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) Anyone who tries to tear us apart. (Got a licence to kill)

Say that somebody tries to make a move on you. In the blink of an eye, I'll be there too. And they better know why, I'm gonna make 'em pay. Till their dying day. Till their dying day. Till their dying day.

Got a licence to kill (to kill) And you know I'm going straight for your heart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) Anyone who tries to tear us apart. (Got a licence to kill) I got a licence to kill (to kill) And you know I'm going straight for your heart. (Got a licence to kill) Got a licence to kill (to kill) Anyone who tries to tear us apart. (Got a licence to kill) Licence to kill. Gotta hold onto your loving. Licence to kill. Kill.


Bond: 6/10
The first time around Dalton's lack of charm and dark exterior was somewhat refreshing and new, but the second time it becomes rather old. Dalton's a great actor but he doesn't appear suited for this role or vice versa, ultimately he seems too out of place in the franchise. Even Daniel Craig, who is a much grittier Bond than the rest, has that charm and sarcastic humor that we are all used to, Dalton is too serious and it stands out. At times I even wished for some completely corny Roger Moore line or goofy smile, but Dalton's like a kid who got his cookie taken away from him and he's not going to be happy until he gets it back.
 

Bond Girls:

Lupe Lamora: 6/10
The main villain’s girlfriend, Lupe is stunningly beautiful yet her beauty comes with a price as she is treated only as a possession of Sanchez. While Lupe may enjoy a life of luxury she'd probably gladly give it up for the freedom to live her own life and to be treated like a person instead of ordered around like a slave. She secretively assists Bond throughout the film in getting close to Sanchez.


Pam Bouvier: 4/10
The remaining informant who knows anything about Sanchez's operations, Bond meets up with Pam to obtains information in locating Sanchez but she insists on coming along for the ride. Pam was quite stunning in the beginning of the film with her long hair (obviously a wig) and then turns butch for the remainder of the film and looks like a teenage boy. She can be rather annoying throughout the film and consistently becomes jealous whenever Bond is around Lupe. To show how useful she is in the film my favorite line is when she asks Bond if he's alright, as he dangles over an operating rock crushing machine!

The Villains:


Franz Sanchez: 8/10
A big time drug dealer and hard to capture criminal, Sanchez is actually quite a good villain. He's not corny, he's quite brutal and he becomes an interesting adversary for Bond. If this film excelled in anything it was some very convinced enemies and Sanchez did not disappoint. The only downside to Sanchez is that compared to past villains Sanchez seems pretty low on the totem pole. When Bond goes from battling madmen bent on taking over the world to a drug dealer, even if Sanchez is pretty convincing he's still small potatoes compared to previous adversaries.


Dario: 7/10
Sanchez's right hand man, played by a young Benicio Del Toro. Dario is another villain who was quite convincing, sadly he didn't receive a whole screen time. Once again it's hard to get too hyped up about a thug compared to a right hand villain such as Jaws or Oddjob.


Total Rating : 5.9/10
Overall (Including Film Rating) : 5.4/10
5/10

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd put the tittle song up on top together with Tina's GOLDENEYE, which is superior to all other songs, in my opinion :)
    I hated all of the songs done for OO7 in the last decade, and I hear Susan Boyle has already been invited to perform the main song in the new installment. I don't like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last Bond theme was terrible, I was dissapointed when they decided not to go with Amy Winehouse she would have done a great Bond song.

    The Susan Boyle idea kinda shocks me, that means their aiming for a softer theme song, which I hope doesn't correlate to a softer Bond.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...