Social Icons

Cliff Note Reviews #2

Cliff Note Reviews is an ongoing series where I briefly state my thoughts on recent films I've watched but don't have the desire to create a full review surrounding.  Short and to the point opinions on films that might make decent weekend watchers when you have nothing else to do, films to completely stay away from, and occasionally a few highly recommended films that I simply don't feel need to be given a full review due to already overexposure.

Gossip Girl: Season 1 (2007)
If you've followed this blog on Twitter you should be quite familiar with my love for a majority of the scripted programing on the low rated CW.  After seeing Blake Lively in Elvis and Anabelle I felt the urge to view some of her other work, Gossip Girl being her most recognized project I decided to take the plunge.  Never having a desire to watch the show prior I was surprised how quickly I became hooked on the twisted web of teenage New York snobbery.  Not being a rich preppy myself the "drama" if this series seems incredibly overblown and fantasized, though I'm sure a lot of the pettiness in this series isn't too far off.  The show is quite addictive as I've managed to plow through Season 1 (18 episodes) in about three nights.  The only aspects that begin to grow old are the constant breakups and makeups, and the last handful of episodes that I noticed were pretty choppy in their flow where relationships and certain ongoing issues where seemingly dropped without much attention.  Seeing how the show is aimed at teenage girls, and not guys in their mid-twenties, I can overlook some of these corny and overblown consistencies.  As in The Vampire Diaries Season 1 I find myself once again drawn to the more villainous character who straddles the line between villain and hero, as I find Chuck to be the most interesting character in the show.  For the most part he's a complete player, but he gives the show that much needed kick that keeps it interesting.  I'll see how the show holds up for me in the coming seasons and if it can manage to keep things fresh.  8/10



 
Year One (2009)
Add Jack Black's name to the list of comedic actors whose careers have quickly fallen into limbo.  While you're at it add Jesse Eisenberg's slightly less socially awkward clone to the list as well (that's Michael Cera for those of you who didn't get the comparison).  Year One is an extremely mediocre attempt at comedy, full of actors who you would struggle to remember the last good film they were apart of in the last five years.  Directed by a veteran in comedy creation, Harold Ramis, who has seeming lost his touch as well, Year One offers little in the way of comedy aside from sporadic physical humor, and only held my attention while waiting for Olivia's Wilde brutally short appearance in the last act of the film.  Year One might make a decent cable view on a day you have absolutely nothing to do, but it's almost guaranteed you'll forget it the next day or even hours after viewing. 4/10




 
Dinner for Schmucks (2010)
This is my pick for not only the worst film of 2010 but also the film most people probably walked out of.  There's nothing worse than watching a movie that looks at least mildly amusing in the previews only to discover it's a complete waste of time.  Dinner for Schmucks is not only completely unfunny, it's awkwardly crude pushing it's PG-13 rating to the furthermost reaches.  This film is almost two hours of endless crude sexual innuendos which plod the film along so slowly it's amazing anyone could actually sit through the entire film.  Steve Carell and Zach Galifianakis are incredibly annoying while the rest of the cast fails to be able to do anything with a script that appears to be written by a group of special ed hormonal teenagers.  The trailer is completely false advertising. PASS! 1/10


2 comments:

  1. I too diliked "year one", infact I dont think I lasted the whole film. Turned off after the eating something they shouldnt scene (dont want to spoil it for others, lets just say it made me VURP).
    But I would have given Dinner for Schmucks a slightly higher rating than 1, its not that bad....I have definitely seen worse. Thats the beauty of films I suppose. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

    Nice reviews!! Nice site!!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. @frontroomcinema - Ironically the scene you are speaking of was probably the funniest scene in the film! I managed to get through Year One, Schmucks on the other hand dragged on for so long and was one continuously bad series of crude jokes I watched most of it in fast forward. Other than the mouse shadow boxes nothing about that film was entertaining, it was torture.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...